Institute of Sustainable Energy Systems
Photovoltaic Technology and Biochar (Professor Kray)
By mid of the century photovoltaics will be the most important energy source according to estimations of the International Energy Agency (IEA). The research group PVT, headed by Prof. Dr. Daniel Kray, develops in particular pioneering production processes of solar cells and modules. The focus is set on strategic product development for medium-sized machine construction companies in the field of wet chemical processing, metal plating and module manufacturing. Currently, a laboratory is under construction where new process technologies will be developed to the point where they can be transferred by companies into the prototype phase. The research activities are supported by comprehensive characterization systems, e.g., photo- and electroluminescence, REM/STEM and high-resolution confocal microscopy.
Furthermore, the so-called negative emission technologies (NET) are being researched. The focus is on PyCCS (pyrogenic carbon capture and storage), which produces vegetable carbon from biological residues in addition to pyrolysis oils and gases. This can be used in a variety of applications to permanently store carbon from the CO2 in the air and thus actively cool the earth. Of particular interest is the cascade use in agriculture (animal feed, manure treatment, fertiliser additive, soil improvement), which we are investigating in the project "FYI: Agriculture 5.0": fyi-landwirtschaft5.org.
(1) Reviewed Journals
Daniel Kray, Soumi Bandyopadhyay, Laura Heuberger, Daniel Weißer, Dzevad Muranovic, Hans Rudert and Roland Einhaus, "N.I.C.E.-wire: Next generation robust eco-friendly bifacial PV modules with high efficiency“, 48th IEEE PVSC, accepted for publication in IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics.
- D. Reinwand, P. Wiechers, D. Kray, "NEW DEVICE FOR ACCURATE Measurement of busbarless Bifacial Solar Cells by Using N.I.C.E.™ Technology“, 37th EU-PVSEC 2020, online.
- Dirk Reinwand, Benedikt King, Joerg Schube, Frédéric Madon, Roland Einhaus, Daniel Kray, „Lab-scale Manufacturing of Medium-sized N.I.C.E.TM Modules with High-efficiency Bifacial Silicon Heterojunction Solar Cells“, AIP Conference Proceedings 2156, 020009 (2019); https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5125874
- D. Reinwand, D. Pysch, N. Bay, J. Burschik, H.H. Kuehnlein, F. Madon, R. Einhaus, A. Brand, V. Arya, B. Smith, D. Richter, D. Kray, „All Copper NICE Modules“, 7th World Conference on Photovoltaic Energy Conversion, June 10-15, 2018, Waikoloa, Hawaii, USA
(3) Sonstige Veröffentlichungen
- Harald Bier, Helmut Gerber, Marcel Huber, Hannes Junginger, Daniel Kray, Jörg Lange, Hansjörg Lerchenmüller, Pål Jahre Nilsen, „EBI Whitepaper - Mit Pflanzenkohle basierten Kohlenstoffsenken dem Klimawandel entgegenwirken“, www.biochar-industry.com/why